Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A., is dedicated to keep our clients and community updated on legal issues impacting their businesses and families. Below please find the blogs, articles, and firm news published in June 2022.
In the divorce of a lesbian couple, can a family court judge deny parental rights to one partner of a child born during the marriage? According to a recent Oklahoma family court decision, the “non-gestational” partner has no parental rights if she failed to adopt the parties’ child.
Florida Bar Board Certified Divorce, Marital and Family Law expert Beth Vogelsang explains. Click here to read more.
June is when Floridians plan their hurricane kits. Why not take time this month to put together an estate planning kit? It should include:
• Living Will;
• Designation of Health Care Surrogate;
• General Durable Power of Attorney;
• Last Will and Testament; and,
• Revocable Trust Agreement.
Parents of recent graduates also should have the proper documentation in place to ensure they can assist with medical decisions after their children turn 18 years old.
Florida Bar Board Certified Wills, Trusts & Estate expert Eric Gurgold explains. Click here to read more.
Whether you are involved in rezoning land or obtaining a special exception, conditional use, variance, development order, or other entitlement to land in Florida, you will likely need approval from the local government where the property is located. But what if your request is denied?
Florida Bar Board Certified in City, County & Local Government Law expert Jeff Wright explains a few of the common remedies available to an applicant in the event their application is denied. Click here to read more.
Firing their first shot on June 6, 2022, Shosh Yonay and Yuval Yonay, heirs of Ehud Yonay, took aim at Paramount by filing a complaint in Federal Court asserting that the movie Top Gun: Maverick, infringes upon a copyrighted story written by Ehud Yonay (“Story”). Shosh and Yuval claim that in May of 1983, Paramount obtained from Ehud, exclusive motion picture and allied rights – creation of merchandise or a television series – to the Story. Shosh and Yuval assert further that in January of 2018, they notified Paramount of their election to terminate those rights as of January of 2020.
On May 27, 2022, flying high over complaints from Shosh and Yuval and well after the termination date, Paramount released Top Gun: Maverick domestically bringing in over $120,000,000 during its opening weekend. Have Shosh and Yuval found their cash cow??
Click here to read more from U.S. Registered Patent Attorney Lee Rendeiro.
In the News
Attorneys Jeff Wright and Kaylee Tuck presented a Legislative Update at the 69th Florida Planning and Zoning Association State Conference on June 2, 2022, in Captiva, Florida. During their presentation, they discussed numerous topics, including pollution control standards and liability, floating solar facilities, power of land authorities, statewide flooding and sea level rise resilience, and building regulations. Click here to read the full article.
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A. is pleased to announce that Florida Civil Trial expert attorney Michael Corso was selected by the Florida Engineering Society (FES), Calusa Chapter, as its 2022 “Engineer of the Year.” Corso received this honor at the FES Awards & Scholarships Banquet held Wednesday, June 22, 2022 in Fort Myers, Florida. Click here to read more.
Gail Lamarche, Henderson Franklin’s Director of Marketing and Business Development, has been selected to serve on the 2023 Legal Marketing Association (LMA) Annual Conference Advisory Committee (ACAC). With the theme of Amplify!, the 2023 conference in will seek to help legal marketers and business development professionals amplify their impact, voice and position in their firms and organizations. The event will be held April 24-26, 2023, at The Diplomat Beach Resort in Hollywood, Florida. Click here to read the full story.
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A., is pleased to announce that twenty-one (21) attorneys were selected as 2022 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars. While only 5% of lawyers in the entire State are named to Florida Super Lawyers®, less than 2.5% are named to the Rising Stars list.
Notably, divorce, marital and family law attorney Beth Vogelsang was named to the “Top 50” list of Women Lawyers in Florida. Michael Corso was also named as one of the “Top 100” Lawyers List in Florida for his work in the field of professional malpractice defense. Click here to read more.
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A., is pleased to welcome the six law students who were selected to join this year’s “Summer Associate” internship program.
The 2022 Summer Associates are: John “Jack” Flagg and Aaron Ostler from University of Miami School of Law; Zachary Hahn and Colten Thomas from Florida State University College of Law; Amantha “Amy” Kelly from the University of Florida Levin College of Law; and Haylee Mixon from Stetson University College of Law.
Click here to read more about this year’s class and the Summer Associate Program.
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A. is pleased to announce that The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization & Education has selected Michael Corso to receive the 2022 Justice Harry Lee Anstead Award for The Florida Bar Board Certified Lawyer of the Year. He received this award at The Florida Bar’s Annual Convention, Board Certified Lawyers’ Reception which took place in Orlando on June 23, 2022. Click here to read the full story.
Henderson Franklin’s attorneys are honored to present seminars that address important legal issues. Our attorneys are also available to present in-house seminars at your place of business.
If your organization would like to host a similar presentation to your members, please reach out to Gail Lamarche, Henderson Franklin’s Director of Marketing and Business Development at email@example.com for scheduling.
A few upcoming engagements include:
• July 21, 2022 – Intellectual Property lawyer Mark Nieds will be a featured speaker for the Lee County Bar Association’s hybrid CLE, “NFT and Law: Intellectual Property and Other Legal Issues Associated with Minting, Buying and Selling NFTS.”
• September 15, 2022 – Intellectual Property Department chair Mark Nieds will present, “Speaking for Fort Myers Chamber: Cryptocurrency 101 – What is it? What’s behind it? Where’s it going?” at the Greater Fort Myers General Membership Luncheon.
• September 23, 2022 – Labor and Employment Group chair Scott Atwood will be a featured speaker for HR Collier at the 2nd Annual HR Conference at the Arthrex Conference Center
• October 6, 2022 – Save the Date to join our Naples legal team at the Collier County Corporate Law Summit taking place at the Hilton Naples. More information will be shared in coming months. Featured topics include:
• Community Leaders Weigh-In on Issues Impacting Collier County Businesses, a panel discussion moderated by J. Dudley Goodlette, Esq.
• Ways to Limit Exposure in Employment and Workers’ Compensation Claims, presenters: Scott Atwood, Esq. and David Roos, Esq.
• The Ever-Changing Landscape of Real Estate and Land Development in Collier, a panel discussion moderated by Jeff Wright, Esq.
• All in the Family – Collier Family-Run Business Leaders Share Lessons for Longevity, a panel discussion moderated by Anthony Cetrangelo, Jr., Esq., with featured guest speakers Jaime Weisinger (Lipman Family Farms) and Michael Wynn (Sunshine Ace)
• A Strategic Approach to Event Risk Management, presented by guest keynote speaker Dr. Linda Robson, Professor at Endicott College in the Gerrish School of Business
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A.
1715 Monroe Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901