Lisa Wilson, APR, Public Relations Director
PHOTO: Students learn about robotics at Edison and Ford Winter Estates.
Unique School Break Camps Offered at Edison and Ford Winter Estates
FORT MYERS, Fla. (November 7, 2019) — Edison and Ford Winter Estates is offering several school break camp options for students in grades first through sixth. The camps are fun, educational, and unlike other local opportunities. The next camp runs from November 25-27 and will teach students about LEGO Mechanics. Camp starts at 9:15 a.m. and ends at 3:45 p.m. each day.
“In the LEGO Mechanics Camp, students will build and explore with simple machines and mechanisms using the power of physics and LEGOs,” said Pearce Augustenborg, Education Coordinator. “They will also learn how levers, pulleys, wheels, and other mechanical innovations make work easier.”
Camps focus on science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) topics, as well as history and the natural world. Registration is open for the following camps.
- November 25-27, LEGO Mechanics — Students will build and explore with simple machines and mechanisms (members $135; non-members $150).
- December 26-27, Forces of Light — Focuses on the physics and design of airborne objects (members $90; non-members $100).
- December 30-31 and January 2-3, 3-D Printing and Design — Students can attend one or both sessions and participate in creative 3-D design challenges (members $90; non-members $100).
- February 10, Eco-Discovery — From estuaries to invasive species, students will learn about Florida’s habitat and man’s impact on it (members $45; non-members $50).
- March 13, Designed by Girls — This engineering day camp is for girls only (members $45; non-members $50).
- March 16-20, Code Camp — Students will learn new platforms and skills each day, including the essential 21st century skills (members $220, non-members $250).
- April 10, The Chemistry of Food — Teaches about the science behind food, such as a root beer float (members $45; non-members $50).
- April 13, Geo-Challenge — Explores cartography and geography in a property-wide scavenger hunt (members $45; non-members $50).
For registration and additional information, visit edisonford.org, or call 239-334-7419.
Edison and Ford Winter Estates
Edison and Ford Winter Estates is the internationally known winter home site of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. More than 250,000 visitors walk through the location each year from all around the globe. The organization has received many awards, including the National Stewardship Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Garden Clubs’ Historic Preservation Award. The property is an official project of “Save America’s Treasures,” a Florida Historic Landmark and a National Register Historic Site. The Edison Botanic Laboratory is a National Historic Chemical Landmark. The site is open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and until 9 p.m. during the month of December for Holiday Nights.