Lani Kai Island Resort hosts #1 Spring Break party in SWFL
Ahhhhhhh, yes, it’s that time of year again on Fort Myers Beach: The sun is shining but it’s not too hot; there’s not a rain cloud in the sky but it’s not too bright; there’s lots of traffic and people, with hundreds of thousands of students hitting the sand to get away from it all, and about 30 firemen getting fired up to entertain at the iconic Lani Kai Island Resort. Yes, Spring Break is here!
Now in its 42nd year on Fort Myers Beach, the Lani Kai Island Resort, at 1400 Estero Blvd., has been the official “Spring Break Central” since the 1990s, a six-floor resort hosting a non-stop party through the month of March for spring-breaking students from around the country – and others who want to join the month-long party.
Throughout March, look forward to live music all day and night, double DJs scratching the latest mixes and tracks from the sand, plenty of beach games – including the ONLY resort where you can play life-sized beer pong – and, of course, the Cincinnati Firemen, returning for their annual spring break variety show pilgrimage March 7.
The Cincinnati Firemen variety show at the Lani Kai
Coming down to Fort Myers Beach for two generations now, the ever-growing and expanding group of 30+ Cincinnati firemen and EMTs teamed up with the Lani Kai in several years ago, fueling their daily variety shows to be even bigger, better and wilder – with more costume changes than ever – all while raising funds for local charitable, non-profit organizations.
Look forward to the daily, 1.5-hour-long variety shows from March 7 to 19 (no show March 11 or 16), featuring some hilariously sexy singing, dancing and well-choreographed moves with plenty of audience participation.
Although they know it’s an all-ages variety show, with plenty of singing and dancing from so many well-known songs, the audience is still always surprised at the talent and showmanship of these firemen every year – these boys can really shake it, going through some intense rehearsals for months before their trip down by lead choreographer, co-founder of the group and fellow fireman Jeff Yount. Other co-founders of the group include Angelo “Scar” Scarlato and Joe “Duke” Diebold.
Speaking of “surprises,” fans of the show can look forward to some fan-favorite, ever-popular songs, such as Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and the Village People’s “Macho Man” and “YMCA,” as well as a couple of brand-new routines. Every show is a surprise, because you never know what – or who – you’ll see! We’ve even had a wedding performed on the stage during one recent show!
This year, as for the last several years, the fund-raising firemen are singing and dancing for the local ARABA Shriners organization, a non-profit group dedicated to aiding ailing children by providing transportation to and from their hospital treatments, and helping with their medical bills.
So far, in the 10 years the firemen have performed at our resort, they have raised more than $130,000 for local non-profit charity organizations – and we are looking forward to adding much more to that grand total this year!
Fort Myers Beach – and the Lani Kai Island Resort – is such a great place for holding these daily Spring Break variety shows because we truly are a melting pot and gathering place of so many different types of people from so many different age ranges and walks of life, and we love knowing that we attract such a wide range of visitors every year – we love each and every one of them!
There is never a charge to attend, and specialty, limited-edition Cincinnati Firemen merchandise will be available for purchase during the shows, with 100% of the proceeds going to the ARABA Shriners. Be sure to visit the firemen’s Facebook page for all the details: Facebook.com/Cincy.Fire.Lani.Kai.
Other Spring Break fun coming up at the Lani Kai
- Skip Marley (grandson of Bob Marley) live on stage and meet-and-greet Saturday, March 28, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Double DJs all day long from our beach stage, featuring DJ G-Ride and DJ TK, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Double DJs all night long in our ground-level Club Ohana nightclub, from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Beach games in the sand all day, including life-sized beer pong, hula hoop competitions, potato sack races, cornhole tourneys, water balloon contests, bean-bag and horseshoe contests, spike ball, life-sized Jenga tourneys and more –– all for prizes.
- Daily Water Wars, where teams will compete with various “weapons of wet destruction” (water balloons, slip-n-slide races, super-soakers and more) for prizes!
- Foreign Fantasy Night with the Naples Hammerhead Rugby Team: A spicy evening hosted by the Hammerhead Rugby Team, featuring a variety show that raises funds for their non-profit endeavors. Takes place in the Sabal Palm room, $10 entry at the door, cash bar all evening. Friday, March 20, 8 to 11 p.m. 21+ show.
- Ladies’ booty-shake contest every day at 5:30 p.m. for cash prizes ($100 first place, $75 for second, $50 for third)
- Various strong-man and strong-woman competitions taking place sporadically throughout the week
- Tug of war competitions daily around 5 p.m. — for prizes
- Live remotes from some of the most popular stations around
- Never a charge to get into any of our regular events or venues. If drinking, wristbands are needed with proper ID, 21 and up; please party responsibly.
- Other fun surprises and special Spring Break events are in the works – so stay tuned for those as soon as they’re official!
Look forward to the Cincy Firemen dancin’ it up on the Lani Kai’s float during the annual Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival, too! For a complete list of ongoing Spring Break activities taking place at the iconic Spring Break Central resort on Fort Myers Beach, or for your very own official Lani Kai Spring Break merch, visit LaniKaiIslandResort.com or call 239-463-3111.