FORT MYERS, Fla. (January 18, 2023) — On February 10 at 10 a.m., the public is invited to celebrate Thomas Edison’s 176th birthday at Edison and Ford Winter Estates. The annual tradition continues with students from the Edison Park Creative and Expressive Arts School singing, dancing and playing stringed instruments. Cake will be served for visitors attending the party, which is sponsored in part by the Edison Pageant of Light, the organization founded in 1938 to memorialize Thomas Edison.
- Starting at 10 a.m., Mike Flanders, Edison and Ford Winter Estates CEO will give a brief welcome and thank the Edison Pageant of Light organizers for providing the cake. (Will take place at the Banyan picnic pavilion behind the Banyan tree).
- Cole Peacock, the Edison Ford Board Chair will also say a few words as will Sue Grimes, the Edison Pageant of Light Historian.
- Students from the Edison Park Creative and Expressive Arts School will perform stringed instruments and then the “Boys in Black” will sing and dance. Students will also sing happy birthday to history character, Mr. Edison.
- Birthday cake will be served.
- Music will be played on the antique Calliope (circus car).
Historically, local school children performed for Edison on his birthday. The school’s dance program features music and dance from the Edison Era as well as contemporary favorites. The birthday party is an opportunity for the school children to demonstrate their talents.
The party is a free public event with limited seating (does not include tours or admission to the museum or laboratory). For information on tours and to purchase tickets, visit www.edisonford.org.